Yum, look closely at the tofu in the picture, now imagine a balance of saltiness, sweetness, a touch of sour and the pungent fragrance of coriander, with a slightly crisp outer and soft inner on the fried tofu cubes. Totally yum, if you know anyone who says “tofu is tasteless” then try them on this recipe! I promise it is anything but tasteless.
Vital ingredient: fresh coriander. You can swap some other things around and substitute here and there, but you must have the coriander to get this alive.
This dressing is not a traditional marinade, in that it is best added to the tofu near the end of the cooking process. It is also great as a drizzled dressing, over the Chickpea, Coconut & Tomato Soup. Also a tasty dipping sauce.
You can keep this dressing in the fridge for around a week.
Tbsp = Tablespoon 15ml, tsp = teaspoon 5ml, cup = 250ml
- 6 Tbsp Bragg liquid seasoning (similar to soy sauce)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 Tbsp shallot, peeled
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 4½ Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 6 Tbsp olive oil
- generous bunch of fresh coriander
- Lightly toast the cumin seeds until they release their fragrance. Grind in a spice/coffee grinder or a pestle and mortar.
- Place everything in a blender/food processor, blitz until mixed thoroughly and the garlic and shallot are finely chopped/blended.
MAKING THE TOFU – 4 hearty serves
We want to just lightly season the tofu initially, as the addition of the coriander dressing will add quite a punch (normally we would use more seasoning for baked tofu).
- 2 blocks of firm tofu
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp vegetable stock powder
- Dice two blocks of firm tofu into cubes (finger thickness).
- Place them a large mixing bowl.
- Drizzle over the tablespoon of oil, and sprinkle over the seasoning. Mix through with your hands gently.
- Spread onto a lined oven tray, and bake at 180°C for 15 mins until just starting to golden on the outside.
- Warm a large frying pan over a high heat. Add a teaspoon of olive oil, and let it heat.
- Now add the tofu, and toss over the heat until it is sizzling.
- Add 6-7 tablespoons of the coriander dressing and continue to stir as it sizzles a few minutes. Cook until it takes on some colour, but don’t burn the dressing.
- Remove from the heat and serve immediately.
*Note, alternatively you can skip the oven, and just start the lightly seasoned tofu directly in the pan. Toss over the heat until starting to golden, then add the dressing as in step 7. We prefer the oven method because it’s hands-free, and you can prepare up to step 4 ahead of time, and let it cool again. Steps 5-8 are quickly done just a few minutes before serving.