Here it is! The long awaited chickpea patties recipe.
These patties are tasty, nutritious and contain protein and fibre from the chickpeas. There are three parts to preparing the mixture:
- Cooking the chickpeas (or you can open a can)
- Cooking the brown rice
- Preparing the rest of the ingredients.
The trick to getting the mixture to hold together is food-processing one third of the mixture – which makes the rice go all sticky and acts as a binder.
If you are cooking chickpeas from scratch you need to plan ahead, as you need to soak the chickpeas overnight in plenty of cold water. Go to our guide on Cooking Chickpeas from Scratch for tips on avoiding gas when cooking legumes.
Tbsp = Tablespoon 15ml, tsp = teaspoon 5ml, cup = 250ml
- 260g brown jasmine rice
- 550ml cold water
- 1 tsp salt
- 270g cooked chickpeas
- 185g carrots, peeled
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp ground cumin
- 2 scant Tbsp Bragg seasoning liquid
- 50g or 1/3 cup dried gluten free breadcrumbs
- extra gluten free breadcrumbs for coating (fresh or dried)
- extra olive oil for basting
- Cooking the rice: Place the rice, water and salt in a saucepan, place the lid on and bring to the boil. Let it boil gently for 5 mins then turn the heat down very low, keeping the lid on the whole time. It will take around 20 mins to absorb all the moisture.
- Preparing the mixture: Grate the peeled carrots, place in a large mixing bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl, including the rice once it’s cooked. Mix everything together thoroughly using your hands.
- Take 1/3 of your mixture and place it in the food processor. Process until it goes sticky and starts to ball up. Return it to the mixing bowl and combine with the remaining mixture thoroughly (use your hands).
- Take handful sizes of mixture, drop them into the extra breadcrumbs and gently roll. Place the balls onto a lined oven tray. Flatten gently with your fingers and baste with olive oil.
- Bake your patties at 180°C for 20-25 mins until golden. (Alternatively you can fry them in a non-stick pan.)
Delicious served with cashew topping, beetroot tapenade, fresh tomatoes, green salad and avocado.
Note: These patties freeze very well (before baking). You can also just par-bake the patties for 10 minutes and store in the fridge until you are ready to fry them off and serve them.