This hearty bolognese sauce gets extra body from the addition of a baked cauliflower/walnut/tomato paste mixture.
Tbsp = Tablespoon 15ml, tsp = teaspoon 5ml, cup = 250ml
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 325g onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 75g celery
- 300g carrots, peeled
- 3½ cans organic chopped tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1½ Tbsp Bragg liquid seasoning
- 350g mushrooms
- pinch of salt
- Baked Cauliflower Mix: Wash the cauliflower and roughly chop. Place in a food processor and blitz until it is a crumbly mixture. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Chop the walnuts in your processor into small pieces (but not a powder). Add to bowl.
- Add the rest of the first set of ingredients, and mix through with your hands.
- Transfer to a lined baking tray. Bake at 180°C for around 30 mins, turning the mixture half way through. It is done when it is starting to brown on the top and the mixture is crumbly and getting dry. Remove when done and set aside.
- Basic Sauce: Chop the peeled onions finely in a food processor (or by hand). Toss in warmed olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium-high heat.
- Finely dice the celery, add to the pan.
- Roughly chop the peeled carrots and place in food processor, blitz until they are in little crumbly bits. Add to the pan, stir over the heat. Chop the garlic and add. Stir until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, turn down to a simmer and allow the sauce to cook for around 20 mins.
- Mushrooms: Meanwhile finely chop/dice the wiped mushrooms in a little olive oil in a hot frying pan. Sprinkle with salt. Cook until they have shrunk to around 1/3 of their original size and have a lovely golden colour and intense flavour.
- Assembly: When the sauce is done, remove the bay leaf and add the baked cauliflower mix and tasty fried mushroom pieces. Stir through, allow to simmer gently a few minutes.
Delicious served over pasta, polenta or in soft-shell tacos.