Here is a creamy and delicious vegan take on celery soup. The flavours are subtle but well balnanced. Creaminess comes from potato and soy cream – you could also use some cashew topping instead of the soy cream.
Vegan Creamy Celery Soup
Tbsp = Tablespoon 15ml, tsp = teaspoon 5ml, cup = 250ml
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- ½ cup sliced leeks (not the darkest green parts), or more chopped onion
- 5 cups chopped celery
- 1½ cups finely diced celery
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 litre water
- 2 Tbsp or 20g Rapunzel Organic vegetable stock powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ a package Alpro soy single (soy cream)* (around ½ a cup)
*You could alternatively use some cashew topping or if you can get it, oat cream would be great.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the chopped onion, first measure of chopped celery, chopped leek and diced potato. Stir over the heat 10 mins. Add garlic, cook 1 min more.
- Add the water, stock powder, salt and bay leaves to the pot. Bring to the boil, turn the heat down, cover and simmer gently for around 15 mins until everything is tender (don’t overcook it.)
- Meanwhile, take the finely diced celery and braise in a frying pan with a little olive oil. Add a small amount (2 Tbsp) of water also and cook a few mins until tender.
- When the soup has simmered for 15 mins and the vegetables are tender, remove the bay leaves and blend the soup – a stick mixer makes this job very easy. Otherwise transfer to a blender in batches, keeping the small lid off, you can hold a folded tea towel over the opening in case of hot splashes, but always let the steam escape.
- Transfer the soup back to the large saucepan, add the braised celery pieces** and soy cream. Stir while you bring up to temperature over a medium heat.
** I like to reserve a few pieces of celery to sprinkle over the top for serving.
Delicious served with buttered wholegrain toast. Yum.