Beans are a great option, especially in winter. Economical and nutritious. The children at our early childhood centre love these beans, as do the adults 😉 We serve them with baked polenta wedges or over brown rice.
Tbsp = Tablespoon 15ml, tsp = teaspoon 5ml, cup = 250ml
- 160g organic brown onion, finely diced
- 12g or 3 cloves organic garlic crushed or chopped finely
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 260g organic tomato passata
- 60g organic tomato paste
- 1 can organic chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3 Tbsp molasses
- 4 tsp rapadura sugar
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp paprika powder
- 320g cooked organic cannellini or organic navy haricot beans (see our other post on cooking legumes)
- dash of soy cream or other kind of cream
- Braise onion and garlic together with oil in large heavy based pot.
- Add all other ingredients, except beans and soy cream, mix well and simmer without lid on for approximately 15-20 minutes. If the mixture reduces too much let down with a dash of water, or extra soy cream.
- Add beans and mix well until heated through.
- Add soy cream and serve hot.