Quinoa – that wonderful ancient grain that’s a complete protein containing all the essential amino acids as well as being high in minerals, and naturally gluten-free and delicious. Here we cook it, add seasoning and vegetables, then blend half of it to make it stick together, and form it into patties which are baked in the oven until golden. Delicious with a salad or in a bun or just as is with green pea sauce! Enjoy.
Tbsp = Tablespoon 15ml, tsp = teaspoon 5ml, cup = 250ml
- The Quinoa
- 225g organic quinoa (raw)
- 500g water
- 1 tsp salt
2. The cooked vegetables
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 140g organic onion, diced small (or substitute half of the onion with diced leek)
- 140g celery, sliced finely (optional)
- 1 clove organic garlic
- knob of ginger (around 10g)
- 100g mushrooms, sliced finely
3. The dressing (that goes inside the burgers to season them)
- 2 Tbsp Bragg liquid seasoning
- 1 clove organic garlic
- 1 small shallot, peeled
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1½ Tbsp lemon juice
- zest of half a lemon
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- small bunch of fresh coriander
4. The raw vegetables you add to the mixture last
- 3 spring onions finely sliced
- 60g peas (frozen is fine)
- 60g kernel corn (frozen is fine)
- ½ tsp Rapunzel organic vegetable stock powder
- To cook the quinoa: place the quinoa, water and salt in a saucepan. Cover with a well-fitting lid and bring to the boil. As soon as it boils, turn the heat right down and leave it to steam for around 15-20 minutes until all the moisture is absorbed. Turn the heat off, leave the lid on until required.
- The cooked vegetables: Meanwhile heat the olive oil in a pan and add the diced onion and celery, toss until soft.
- Blitz the garlic and ginger in a small food processor until finely chopped (or dice with a knife) and add to the pan, stirring for around half a minute.
- Add the mushrooms and a pinch of salt, stir everything together and fry until everything is soft and cooked. Remove from heat.
- Dressing: Place the third set of ingredients in a small blender and blitz until well combined and coriander is chopped finely.
- Making the burgers: in a large bowl add the cooked quinoa (while still hot), stir-fried vegetables, dressing and fresh spring onions, peas, corn and stock powder. Stir well.
- Transfer half the mixture to a large bowl food processor and process for a couple of minutes until sticky.
- Transfer back to the bowl and mix everything together again.
- Take scoops of mixture and place on a lined baking tray, flatten with damp fingers.
- Brush the tops with olive oil, and bake at 180°C for 20 minutes until golden and firm on the outside, still soft inside.
Serve hot with green pea sauce and salad, enjoy 🙂