This tasty pesto adds a real lift to winter pizzas or crostini – hearty and bold flavours from walnuts and sun-dried tomatoes. Very simple to make – just process everything into a paste! We use the dehydrated tomatoes, but if you have ready-to use sun-dried tomatoes in oil that’s fine too.
Sun-dried Tomato & Walnut Pesto
Tbsp = Tablespoon 15ml, tsp = teaspoon 5ml, cup = 250ml
- 1 1/8 cups or 100g sun-dried tomatoes (we use the dehydrated ones, but ready-to-use are fine too, but they weigh a lot more, and just skip the soaking step!)
- 1¼ cups walnuts
- 5 Tbsp or 50g olive oil
- 11 very large fresh basil leaves (around 10g)
- If you are using the dehydrated sun-dried tomatoes, soak them in boiling water for around half an hour or longer. Once they are re-hydrated, drain, reserving water.
- Add everything to the food processor bowl. Add a sufficient amount of the reserved soaking water to enable the ingredients to blend into a paste. You may need to stop, scrape down the sides, and blend again a few times.
- Store airtight in the fridge for up to two weeks.