Sometimes the simplest things really are the best! This simple breakfast takes around 5-10 mins to prepare the night before, and is hearty, nutritious and yummy. It boasts the goodness of chia seeds, flax seeds and pumpkin seeds along with almonds, oats and coconut cream.
Chia seeds and flax seeds absorb liquid and become jelly-like, which makes the muesli wonderfully thick and creamy. They also contain plenty of fibre. Their consistency has a soothing effect on digestion which makes them great for colon health. The nuts and seeds are packed full of protein and minerals. Soaking the muesli overnight enables enzyme activity to break down phytic acid, which hinders our body’s absorption of minerals.
For breakfast on the run, just put it in a container with a lid (and don’t forget the spoon! 🙂
- 1 1/3 cups organic quick oats
- 1 2/3 cups organic almond milk or organic oat milk
- 200ml coconut cream
- 2 Tbsp organic chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp organic linseeds
- 1½ Tbsp organic pumpkin seeds
- 2 Tbsp slivered almonds
- ¼ cup organic raisins
- 1 Tbsp dried cranberries or goji berries
- 1 Tbsp whole organic natural almonds
- pinch or organic sea salt
- Frozen berries (raspberries / blueberries)
- Fresh fruit, shavings of carob chocolate (optional toppings)
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add wet ingredients and mix to combine well.
- Choose 3-4 serving bowls or clear drinking glasses, spoon 1/2 the mixture into each bowl.
- Cover with a generous amount of frozen or fresh raspberries and/or blueberries (approx 50-60g per serve).
- Spoon over the remaining Bircher muesli mixture to cover fruit.
- Leave out overnight (covered) to soak.
- In the morning top with sliced bananas and strawberries, or other fresh fruit you have on hand. Enjoy!