Delicious, slightly curried roast capsicum & tomato soup. Hearty flavours and great colour.
Made by kids for kids @ Youth Space, Palmerston North
Roast Capsicum & Tomato Soup
- 5 spray free red capsicums
- extra virgin olive oil
- 2½ cans chopped tomatoes
- 4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 Litre vegetable stock*
- 1½ sprigs rosemary, washed
- 180g organic onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp garlic ‘butter’**
- 2 tsp organic sea salt
*mix 18g (1 rounded dessert spoon) Rapunzel organic vegetable stock powder with 1 L boiling water
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Cut capsicums in half. Remove seeds and core. Cut each half into 3 strips. Toss with a little olive oil, then place on roasting trays and roast for 30 mins until the skin blisters, they start to char and the flesh becomes soft.
- Remove capsicums from oven, place into a large zip-lock bag while still hot, and allow to sweat 5 minutes (aids in skin removal.) Remove from bag and pull loosened skin off (roughly).
- Heat garlic butter in a large pot. Add chopped onion and cook a few mins until soft.
- Add the ground cumin, stir over the heat 1 minute.
- Add the canned tomatoes, vegetable stock, roast capsicum and rosemary sprigs. Bring to the boil, simmer covered for 15-20 mins allowing the rosemary flavour to steep into the soup.
- Remove the rosemary stalks, and blend the soup with a hand blender.
- Add half of the salt, check the taste. Add more if needed.
- To serve, fill a bowl with hot soup and swirl with cashew topping.